The Morristown Police Department places a strong emphasis on hiring the best personnel possible. We continue to ensure that the quality of law enforcement services provided are of the highest standards, as we are dedicated to providing professional police services to our community. The Morristown Police Department is a nationally accredited agency.Job Description
Essential duties and responsibilities at a minimum include:
- Work a rotating schedule, performing security patrols, traffic control, investigation and first aid at accidents, detection, investigation and arrest.
- Carry out duties in conformance with Federal, State, County, and City laws and ordinances.
- Prepare a variety of reports and records.
- Maintain Department equipment, supplies and facilities.
- Incentive pay for advanced education.
- Paid retirement plan.
- Military leave.
- Health, dental and life insurance (Dependent coverage available).
- 10 paid holidays.
- Sick leave accrual at rate of 1 day per month (no limit).
- Vacation accrual based on years of service (10 days at end of first year).
- Longevity Pay after five years of service.
- Maternity leave for both mothers and fathers.
- Perfect attendance pay.
- Credit Union available.
- Deferred Compensation plans available.
- Meet the minimum age requirement of 21 years of age.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a high school graduate, or possess a G.E.D. certificate which meets state standards.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Be of good moral character; no felony convictions; no misdemeanor convictions involving moral character, perjury, or false statements as outlined in the Tennessee State Statutes.
- Never have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.
- Be able to successfully pass a drug screen test.
Applicants must successfully complete the following steps:
- Screening of submitted applications.
- Meet the minimum qualifications (listed above).
- Background investigation.
- Physical agility test.
- Written Civil Service examination.
- Oral interview.
Conditional Employees must successfully complete medical and psychological examinations.Training
Once selected as a Police Recruit, the new recruit will complete a field training program. All recruits will be required to complete a state certified Law Enforcement Training Academy unless prior certification has been achieved and maintained. Each recruit appointed to fill a position with the City of Morristown must complete a six month probationary period after completing a field training program before he/she is considered to be a permanent employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Employment shall be based on merit and fitness without regard to race, religion, sex, age, national origin, and free of personal and political considerations. In addition, it shall be this City’s policy to offer equal employment opportunities in recruitment, training programs, transfers, promotions, compensation, demotions, terminations, benefits, employee relations, and all other personnel actions relative to City employment.