The Morristown Fire Department places a strong emphasis on hiring the best personnel possible.Job Description
Essential duties and responsibilities at a minimum include:
- Work a rotating 24-hour-on/48-hour-off schedule
- Performing Fire Fighting functions in extreme environments
- Provide emergency medical care to individuals in immediate life threatening situations/conditions
- Prepare a variety of reports and records
- Maintain Department equipment, supplies and facilities
- Educational assistance for furthering education.
- Incentive pay for advanced education.
- Paid retirement plan.
- Military leave.
- Health, dental and life insurance (Dependent coverage available).
- 10 paid holidays.
- Sick leave accrual at rate of 1 day per month (no limit).
- Vacation accrual based on years of service (10 days at end of first year).
- Longevity Pay after five years of service.
- Maternity leave for both mothers and fathers.
- Perfect attendance pay.
- Credit Union available.
- Deferred Compensation plans available.
- Meet the minimum age requirement of 21 years of age.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a high school graduate, or possess a G.E.D. certificate which meets State standards.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Be of good moral character; no felony convictions; no misdemeanor convictions involving moral character, perjury, or false statements as outlined in the Tennessee State Statutes.
- Never have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.
- Be able to successfully pass a drug screen test.
Hiring ProcessApplicants must successfully complete the following steps:
- Screening of submitted applications.
- Meet the minimum qualifications (listed above).
- Physical agility test.
- Written Civil Service examination.
- Oral interview.
Once selected as a Fire Recruit, the new recruit will complete a 13-week fire fighting school, usually held at the State of Tennessee Fire Academy. Here, recruits will learn the latest up-to-date fire fighting, search and rescue, and personal safety techniques and become certified medical first responders. Each employee appointed to fill a position with the City of Morristown must complete a six month probationary period before he/she is considered to be a permanent employee.Equal Opportunity Employer
Employment shall be based on merit and fitness without regard to race, religion, sex, age, national origin, and free of personal and political considerations. In addition, it shall be this City’s policy to offer equal employment opportunities in recruitment, training programs, transfers, promotions, compensation, demotions, terminations, benefits, employee relations, and all other personnel actions relative to City employment.