HOLIDAY TIPS FROM MPD
The holiday season is here! To keep this special time of year safe for all citizens the Morristown Police Department would like to remind citizens of how to avoid being a victim during the holiday season.
- Avoid driving alone or at night, when possible.
- Keep all vehicle doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your vehicle.
- Shop while it is daylight.
- If shopping at night, park in a well-lighted area. Park as close to the building as possible. Avoid parking next to vans, cars with dark tinted windows, or trucks with camper tops.
- Do not leave the vehicle unoccupied while the motor is running and do not leave children unattended in a vehicle.
- Leave packages and valuables in your trunk locked or hidden out of plain sight.
- Before returning to your vehicle, locate your keys.
- Avoid carrying a purse or wallet. If carrying a purse, always keep a secure hold on your purse. Never leave your purse unattended.
- If there is a suspicious person near your vehicle or you feel unsafe, ask the store security to escort you to your vehicle.
- Try to pay for purchases using a check or credit card. If you must carry cash, keep it in your front pocket and do not carry large quantities.
- If your credit card is stolen report it to the credit card company immediately.
- Beware of any stranger approaching you. This is the time of year when con-artists take advantage of those giving.
- While shopping, leave children at home with a family member or a babysitter.
- If you take your child shopping, teach your child to go to a store clerk for help if they get separated from you. Make sure they know their full name, address, and telephone number.
- Teach children to stay close to you at all times.
- Do not allow children to go anywhere unaccompanied by you.
Automated Teller Machine (ATM):
- Use ATMs during daylight hours.
- Use those located inside a facility or at a well-lighted facility.
- Only withdrawal the cash you need.
- Shield the keypad, from those around you, when entering your pin.
- Do not throw your ATM receipt away at the ATM’s location.
- Be aware of those soliciting for charities door-to-door. Ask for their identification, and find out how the donations will be used. If not satisfied with the answers received, do not donate.
- Donate to recognizable charitable organizations.